Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Self – assessment of online listening to podcasts


I was listening two podcasts, named “The Lipstick Blondes“ and „Taking art to the streets of London“.They are published in the Internet, bbclearningenglish.com.
Firstly, I want to comment this website. I think that this website is very useful for students, who need learn English, also for tourists, becouse there are lessons what and how to say in typical or not so typical situations in life. For example there was a lesson about French food - how reasonably to say that this food is not acceptable for you or maybe it is acceptable... Personaly I found there many useful, interesting things. I believe that podcasts must be useful – they must enrich your vocabulary. They shouldn‘t be so complicated, that you won‘t understand what is saying. On the other hand, you must wrestle with this problem, buti n many cases, it isn‘t very useful.
It is very good, that there are two levels of English in my podasts. One is intermediate – when a speaker, which introduces to topic, explain concepts or expressions of other speaker, who talks in upper-intermediate level of English. It was very useful for me. The first speaker introduces, then say what things I must notice in the talko f other speaker. Then I concentrate my attention to exceptional expressions or words. Thus, I have learned interesting expressions. If you don‘t catch them at first time, the introducer may repeat it.
Becouse of being two speakers, the rate of speaking also were two. The first speaker spoke average and other fast.The average speaking was useful to understand better.
I think that both speakers had the British accent. They spoke fluently enough.
I have listened twice times for the complete understanding. I dind‘t look to a transcript – becouse it is the easest way. I was listening to speakers. I think that I did my best, focus on essence.
I can assess my ability to undesrstand authentic speech as good. Becouse of my visual memory, sometimes I found it difficult to remember and also to understand information in audio. I should listen more times.
I also agree that training is the best way to improve my capability. Maybe today i am not well prepared to my exam listening paper, but I hope after practise I will. And this practise can be English films and podcasts.

No comments: